French Concession in Shanghai
The Shanghai French Concession, also known as French town, was a former foreign concession in Shanghai during the period of 1849 to 1946. It includes the area of Luwan and Xuhui District, which has always been Shanghai's most charming district.
- The French Concession was the earliest, biggest and most prosperous Concession in Shanghai.
- This area is the center of Catholicism in Shanghaim, as well as the premier residential and retail districts of Shanghai. It is also a very popular tourist destination for both Chinese and foreigners.
- With its peaceful, picturesque, treetlined streets, this area retain an air of the "Paris of the East". At the same time, many of the small backstreets still have a very local feel.
- It’s one of the most popular parts of town for expats, especially Hengshan Lu and the Fumin/Changle crossroads.
- Xintiandi and Shanghai art street Tianzifang are also in French Concession. Walking around these two place, you can get an idea of traditional Shanghai lifestyle, as well as enjoy Shanghai traditional buildings.
- In French Concession, Sun Yat-sen drew up plans for a modern unified China and Mao Zedong helped to found the Chinese Communist Party. At east side of Xintiandi, Xingye Lu, you can visit the site of the First National Congress of CPC.
How to get there
- Location: Luwan District and Xuhui District
- By Subway: Line 9, Shanxi Nan Lu station, and Xujiahui Station.
Explore Old French Concession Streets
- Julu Rd, Huaihai Rd, Maoming Rd, Changle Rd, Xinle Rd.
- Features: interesting architecture buildings showing mixed Chinese-European styles. boutiques and restaurants, small designer clothing shops.
Former Residence of Celebrities
- Sun Yat-sen's Former Residence
- 7 Xiangshan Rd. The house was the Shanghai residence of Sun Yat-sen and his wife Soong Ching Ling from 1918-1937. It now a museum telling the story of the revolutionary father of China's republic.
- Zhou Enlai's Former Residence
- 73 Sinan Rd, Luwan District. It was the former Shanghai Office of the Delegation of the Communist Party in China from June 1946. It is now a museum telling the story of the Communist revolution in China and particularly Shanghai.
- Soong Ching Ling's Former Residence
- Huaihai Middle Rd, Xujiahui District. It has been converted into a memorial museum with many artifacts. Soong Ching Ling was the former vice chairman of the People's Republic of China.
Pictures of Frenchtown
- A mix of the old and the new in the former French Concession
- Xintiandi: Interesting place in the East French Concession.
- How to get there
- Explore Old French Concession Streets
- Visit Former Residence of Celebrities
- Pictures of Frenchtown