Shanghai Yu Garden
- Traditional Landscape Garden
Do not miss it!
Garden, landscape, exquisite corridors, rivers, rock gardens, courtyards.
Renowned traditional landscape garden in Jiangnan, it is also a historical site with a history of 450 years. Chairman Jiang Zemin wrote an epigraph "Famous Garden in the Sea" for the Yu Garden.
- It was first built in 1559 (Ming Dynasty), has a history about 450 years. In 1982, it was listed as an important relic protection unit.
- Covering an area of 20,000 square meters, Yuyuan Garden can be divided into six main scenic parts: Sansui Hall, Wanhua Chamber, Dianchun Hall, Huijing Hall, Yuhua Hall and the Inner Garden, with each parts has own features. Each section has its own special sights.
- The garden is a virtual maze of caves, gardens, rockeries, paths, bridges, and buildings. Every corner you turn has a new surprise, and a total different view. It is often the situation that a person has come across a single area from three different places, and don't realize he kept coming to the same place.
Historical & Culture Background
- Built in 1559 by the Pan's family, Yu Garden was for Pan's parents to enjoy a happy and tranquil life at the reminder of their life and "Yu" in Chinese means pleasing and satisfying.
- It was changed and rebuilt for hundreds of years by different descendents of the original builder. Even though many people have had a hand in rebuilding the garden over the centuries, it is seamlessly blended.
- It was ingeniously built and shows the amazing architectural style of Ming and Qing Dynasty.
- A big rockery with springs and small waterfalls
It has a reputation that it is the best rockery in Jiangnan district.
- Exquisite corridors, rivers, rockeries, courtyards
From the building"Yu He Xie" to"Wan Hua Lou", there are full of exquisite corridors, rivers, rockeries, courtyards. The stone hill – Jade Exquisite (Yu Ling Long in Chinese) is the treasure of the Yu Garden. It is praised as the No.1 of the famous three stones in Jiangnan district. Facing the Jade Exquisite is the building"Yu Hua Tang". Inside it, it is a traditional sanctum in Ming Dynasty. All the desks and chairs are made of precious rosewood.
- The carrier of traditional Chinese culture: painting, calligraphy, carvings, and sculptures
As the carrier of traditional Chinese culture, the Yu Garden becomes attached to painting and calligraphy. A lot of famous artists in Ming Dynasty wrote poems and painted here. For hundreds of years' accumulation, there are thousands of precious paintings, furniture, porcelains, etc. All of them are culture relics of high value. A lot of brick carvings, stone carvings, mud sculptures, and wood sculptures intersperse among the Yu Garden. They not only have a long history but also have extremely exquisite designs.
Yu Garden locates at the northeast corner of the old city in south Shanghai.
- By bus: Bus 11, 42, 64, 126, 526, 632 can reach there.
- By subway: Take Line 8 and get off at Dashijie Station, walk along Huaihai East Road and Renmin Road; Yuyuan Garden is on the way..
Visiting TimeMany visitors said that Yu Garden was a good place to spend a whole day.
- Yu Garden Lantern Festival falls on the 15th, January of lunar year, one of the best times to visit Yuyuan Garden in Shanghai.
- Weekend Morning is a good time to visit.
- Opening hours: 8:30am-5:30pm
Costs/ Entrance TicketsAdmission Fee: 30 RMB
Review & Tips
- It is really an amazing place to go and relax.
- It is right next to the Yuyuan Old Street, thus visit two place at one time is a good way to save your time.
- The YuYuan Gardens is a great place to spend a day. What with the wonderful zigzag bridge and the beautiful dragon sculptures with the many different rooms and rock gardens along with the coy ponds. It is worth it to set aside a full day just to explore the full gardens.
- We also visited the Yuyuan Garden which are absolutely beautiful and the market outside that is something I could spend hours and hours looking at things that look very intriguing. (-Jayant & Asha from USA)
- Yu Garden recreates a beautiful landscape of pagodas, pavilions, rockeries, fountains, ancient trees and precious flowers. Dragon sculptures on the walls were quite impressive.(-R.Sadagopan. from Abu Dhabi)
Other attractions near by
- Yuyuan Market ( Shanghai Old Street): If you want to look back on the bygone days of Shanghai, the Shanghai Old Street will lead you to travel through the time tunnel back to 100 years ago.
- Temple of the Town Gods (Chenghuang Miao): 249 Fangbang Middle Road
Tours with this attraction
- If you are interested in taking a Shanghai tour with a visit to Yu Garden; if you need a private tour and an English speaking tour guide to show you around Shanghai; China Odyssey Tours is here and ready to help.
- The following links lead you to sample Shanghai tours that include a visit to this attraction.
- Historical & Culture Background
- Tour Features
-What is special there?
- how to get there?
- Visiting Time
- How long should I stay there?
- When is the best time to visit there?
- Costs/ Entrance Tickets
- Review & Tips
- What tour experts/visitors say about this place?
- Other tour attractions near by
- Tours with this attraction