- Shanghai Old Street
Wonderful place to experience local life.
Local market, local lifestyle, good price products, traditional Chinese buildings.
If you want to look back on the bygone days of Shanghai, the Shanghai Old Street will lead you to travel through the time tunnel back to 100 years ago.
- The reconstructed Old Street is 825m in total length. It is separated into two sections by Guanyi Street. The eastern section extends to Renmin Road and the western section to Henan Road.
- The buildings in the Old Street are differently, the eastern section still keeps the characteristics of the houses in the late Qing Dynasty (A.D.1840--1911) and the early Republican period (1912-1919).
- The buildings in the western section are to model after the architecture style of Ming (A.D.1368-1644) and Qing (A.D.1616-1911) Dynasty, the lattice windows, the painted tablets make the street full of ancient atmosphere.
Historical & Culture Background
- In the old days, the street was an Old Street gathering all the 360 trades of China, it once gathered a group of pawnshops, private banks, gold shops, silverware shops, wine shops, teahouses, theatres and hongs. Meanwhile, it is a passageway for the flowing passengers joining the Shilipu, the Town God Temple and the Yu Garden area.
- Since the reestablishment, the Old Street has re-created the lost trades, such as the coins banks, mahogany furniture shops, pawnshops, old style teahouses, old wine shops, embroidery shops etc.
- Now in the simple old architectures, some newly-built scenic landmark buildings have become the highlights in the Old Street.
- Three Pailou - historical relics
Coming here you would be overwhelmed by three Pailou(decorated archway) with diverse styles, an ancient stage and a leisure long Corridor.
- Shopping Paradise
Yuyuan Market is a wonderful place to do some shopping, try out some of the local snacks, and see how local Shanghai resident's live.
LocationYuyuan Market, also called Yuyuan Bazaar, is located next to the Yuyuan Garden.
- By subway: Take Subway Line 8 and get off at Dashijie Station, walk along Huaihai East Road and Renmin Road, and you will find Yuyuan Garden.
- One of the best way to enter this area is through the northern gate from Renmin Road and Lishui road.
Visiting TimeTry not to visit on the weekend, though, as the crowds are pressing to say the least.
Costs/ Entrance TicketsAbsolutely free
Review & Tips
- This is definitely the place to come for souvenir shopping. You could find anything from mirrors, tea sets, Chinese fans or silk products to food and art. Don’t forget to barter for a good price!
- Different local snacks are available. Shanghai is known for its steamed meat dumplings and the most famous in Shanghai are found in the Yu Garden shopping complex.
- We visited the Yuyuan Market. A very nice place where you can find lots of stores of tea and candies and everything! (-Patricia. from Chile)
Other attractions near by
- Yu Garden: locates at the northeast corner of the old city in south Shanghai.
Tours with this attractions
- If you are interested in taking a Shanghai tour with a visit to Yuyuan Market-Shanghai old street; if you need a private tour and an English speaking tour guide to show you around Shanghai; China Odyssey Tours is here and ready to help.
- The following links lead you to sample Shanghai tours that include a visit to this attraction.
- Historical & Culture Background
- Tour Features
-What is special there?
- how to get there?
- Visiting Time
- How long should I stay there?
- When is the best time to visit there?
- Costs/ Entrance Tickets
- Review & Tips
- What tour experts/visitors say about this place?
- Other tour attractions near by
- Tours with this attraction