Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall tells people how Shanghai became a famous international city from a small fishing village. It exhibits the overall layout of Shanghai, especially the great changes that have taken place since the economic reform and opening to the outside world in 1978.
- It covers an area of 3,600 square meters. It is 43.3 meters tall with 5 floors up ground and 2 floors underground. Its exhibition subject is the city, people, environment, and development. It perfectly showcases Shanghai's past, present and future.
- Shanghai people are proud of the Bund and consider it as a treasured place. Owning a piece of land in the Bund is a symbol of wealth and honor.
- Originally the financial center of Shanghai, the Bund’s many old stone buildings were built by western companies in Gothic, Baroque, Romanesque, Classicism, and Renaissance styles.
- The first floor is the entrance and basic introduction level.
- a large revolving statue of some of Shanghai's most famous buildings.
- The second floor showcases Shanghai's past. It shows how the city went from being just a small fishing village to a major world metropolis.
- movies and moving models which depict ancient Shanghai.
- models of some of Shanghai's oldest buildings and bridges.
- photos of old Shanghai and the buildings which still exist
- The third floor features Shanghai's present.
- The huge scale model of Shanghai city.
- The model went through an entire day cycle from sunrise tonight with all of the building's windows illuminated from inside.
- A 360-degree movie taking visitors on a bird's eye trip around the city.
- The fourth floor shows Shanghai's future. It shows in models and photos, what is in store for Shanghai.
- models of the airports and railway stations and how they are going to be upgraded in the near future.
- the plans for the new subway the underground roads being built to help ease congestion.
- The fifth floor showcases the 2010 World Expo.
- models of some of the individual countries' pavilions and the entire site as a whole.
- 2 floors underground.
The basement was built to appear like a street in old Shanghai. It has some restaurants and shops.
-What is special there?
- Exhibit Shanghai's future blueprint till 2020
This great exhibition hall wins a lot of prizes in China. It uses high-tech ways to exhibit Shanghai's future blueprint until 2020. The whole exhibition hall is professional, interesting, and informative.
- At the east part of People's Square of Shanghai.
- Address: 100 Ren Min Boulevard, People's Square
- how to get there?
- By subway: Line 1, Line 2, Line 3, get off at the stop of People Square
- How long should I stay there?
- When is the best time to visit there?
- Opening Hours:
Monday to Thursday: 9:00-17:00
Friday to Sunday: 9:00-18:00
- Visiting Hours: about 2 hours.
Costs/ Entrance Tickets
Admission Fee: 30 RMB (15 RMB for students)
Review & Tips
- What do tour experts/visitors say about this place?
- The Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall brings Shanghai alive. The giant model really helps bring the city into perspective and works like a giant map. It must make visitors' tours of Shanghai a lot more fulfilling.
- Definitely worth a visit if you're in Shanghai. The museum has an emphasis on not just the future development of Shanghai, but how incredible its transformation and modernization has been in the last decade. ( Quote from Trip Advisor )
- There are lots of interactive exhibits for the kids and there is some great info about the 'greening' project and other interesting Shanghai challenges. ( Quote from Trip Advisor )
- An underrated and superb museum that gives you a great introduction to Shanghai. ( Quote from Trip Advisor )
Other tour attractions nearby
- Shanghai Museum: one of the best museums in China, is mainly a museum for ancient arts.
Tours with this attraction
- If you are interested in taking a Shanghai tour with a visit to Urban Planning Exhibition Hall; if you need a private tour and an English speaking tour guide to show you around Shanghai; China Odyssey Tours is here and ready to help.
Essential China tours to discover the real Shanghai:
Welcome to contact us if you want a China tour of your style.