In the western part of Shanghai lies the Jade Buddha Temple. Originally built in 1882, the temple as seen today was built in 1928. The temple received its name from the two jade statues of the Buddha that it houses.
- It is one of the Temples that have received the most guests and heads of state from home or abroad in Shanghai and the country.
- Though it is situated in the busy city proper, the temple can seek quiet from noise, and is extolled as a pure land in the bustling city.
- The main structures of the temple are the Devajara Hall, the Mahavira Hall and the Jade Buddha Tower. And at sides are the Kwan-yin Hall, the Amitabha Hall, the Tang Hall, the Dining- Room and the Recumbent Buddha Hall.
Jade Buddha in the temple
Historical & Cultural Background
- Jade Buddha Temple was built in 1882, and got the name for the two jade Buddha sacrificed in the temple. The small one was brought to China from Burma by Monk Huigen in l882, while the big one was brought from Singapore by Zhenshan, the tenth master of the temple in 1990.
- The story goes that a monk from Putuoshan traveled to Myanmar via Tibet, lugged the Buddha back to its present site and then went off in search of alms to build a temple for it.
- Every year there are thousands upon thousands of believers and pilgrims come and pilgrimage here.
- Priceless White Jade Buddhas
The exquisitely carved Buddha statues are carved of white jade, and are priceless. Less known, but just as spectacular is the temple's porcelain collection.
- 170 Anyuan Road
- The temple is in the north-west of town, near the intersection of Anyuan Lu and Jiangning Lu.
- By subway: take the metro out to the Shanghai train station and then walk about 1 km.
Take Subway Line 6 at Wulian Road Station, get off at Shiji Dadao Station.
take Subway Line 2 and get off at Nanjing Road West Station
- By Bus: No. 19, and get off at Anyuan Road.
- Opening hours: 8:10am - 4:30pm, daily
- Best visiting time: Lunar New Year's Day, the fifteenth day of the first lunar month. At that time, the temple will have some special activities.
Review & Tips
- No photography is permitted.
- The Jade Buddha Temple is located in the busy downtown of Shanghai; it can seek quiet from noise, and is extolled as a pure land in the bustling city.
- One must not let the outside face of the building deter you to the beautiful statues inside. ( Quote from Virtual Tourist. )
- There's the biggest white Jade Buddha in the world - 1,9 metres tall and 1,3 metres broad! Very interesting is also the eighty-foot-high statue of the protector of Buddhist scriptures, flanked on each side by the Buddhist Kings. ( Quote from Virtual Tourist. )
- The aromatic incense that floats through the air on the premises inside the Jade Buddha Temple gets any visitor in the temple visit mood.
( Quote from Virtual Tourist. )
Tours with this attraction
- If you are interested in taking a Shanghai tour with a visiting to Jade Buddha Temple; if you need a private tour and an English speaking tour guide to show you around Shanghai; China Odyssey Tours is here and ready to help. Contact us.
- The following links lead you to sample Shanghai tours that include a visit to this attraction.