Shanghai Maglev Train (SMT) has been operated since the end of 2002 and is the world's first and only commercialized maglev train line in operation.
- In June 2000, Shanghai and Transrapid International agreed to jointly carry out a feasibility study on highspeed Transrapid demonstration line in China. In December, China decided to build a highspeed transrapid demonstration line in Shanghai from Metro Longyang Road station to Pudong International Airport.
- The construction began in March 2001.
- On December 31, 2002, the Shanghai Maglev Line, after more than two years of designing, construction and commissioning by the experts of China and Germany, eventually came into view in the world.
- Not exactly an "attraction" but it gives you a special experience in Shanghai. So many countries in the world have been involved in the researches of the maglev technology, but only in Shanghai a real maglev operation line was successfully built.
- It takes only in 8 minutes for a 30-kilometer-long trip, between Longyang Road Station(Metro Line 2) and Pudong Airport, with a maximum speed of 430 kilometers per hour.
- At Shanghai Maglev Longyang Road Station, tourists can transfer to Subway Line 2 and many buses which can take you to the urban area of Shanghai.
- It runs from Pudong International Airport to Longyang Road.
- The train operates once every 15 to 20 minutes. The line operates daily between 06:45-21:30.
- Pudong Airport Station: First train: 7:02 Last train: 21:42
- Longyang Road Station: First train: 6:45 Last train: 21:40
- Interval: 15 mins.( 6:45-17:00 ); 20 mins.( 17:00-21:40)
- Max Speed:
- 300km/h ( 6:45-8:45, 11:00-12:45, 17:00-21:40)
- 430km/h ( 9:00-10:45, 13:00-16:45)
- Maglev train line and subway line are connected. You can take maglev train from Pudong airport to Longyang road, then take subway line 2 to get to the city center.
- If you missed the last train, you can also find some other ways to get to the city center from Pudong airport.
- Passengers can get tickets at the Ticket Center on the day of taking the train.
- Purchase Place:
- Longyang Rd. Ticket Center is on the 2nd floor 2100 Longyang Road,
- Pudong Shanghai Pudong Airport Ticket Center is on the 2nd floor of the Pudong Airport Station in the Pudong International Airport.
- A One-way Ticket: 50RMB for Economy, 100RMB for VIP
- A Round-trip Return Ticket: (Valid in 7 days) 80RMB for Economy, 160RMB for VIP
- Ticket Discount:
- Passengers with airplane ticket of the day can enjoy a 20% discount one time for the single trip train tickets of the day.
- Each adult can bring one child at or under 120cm free of charge. Children above 120cm shall buy the full-price ticket. Children at or under 120cm are not allowed to take the train alone.
- Train Delayed: Awful weather or technical reasons may disturb the normal operation. If so, passengers should follow the attendants’ instruction to the appointed place for the refund of their tickets.
- Ticket Refund: Unused tickets can be refunded at full price at the place bought but only on the valid day. Tickets exchanged by vouchers follow the same policy.
- Meglev was the best choice. Pudong International Airport to Shanghai City side station Longyang Road in 8 minutes at lightening speed of 431 km/hr. Great experience. If in Shanghai, one should not miss Maglev travel. (Quote from Trip Advisor)
- Travelling on the Maglev is a great experience, and i would advise anyone going to Shanghai to use it. (Quote from Trip Advisor)
- We took the Shanghai Maglev out to the airport before flying back to the UK. The Maglev topped off our amazing holiday in China. (Quote from Trip Advisor)
- While this isn't a 'real' attraction per se, it is a must do for anyone visiting Shanghai for the first time. 430km/h is really fast and you got to experience it for yourself. (Quote from Trip Advisor)
- I have been on the Japanese bullet train (Shinkansen), but there is no comparison. This is the true bullet. (Quote from Trip Advisor)
- You will regret not taking the MagLev Train - it's awesome (Quote from Trip Advisor)
Tips: (information quote from offical website: www.smtdc.com)
- Passengers who bought the single trip tickets can get on board at either Longyang Road Station or Pudong Airport Station and get off at the other Station.
- Round trip tickets are valid within 7 days since the purchase day. Passengers who bought the round trip tickets can get on board at either the Long yang Road Station or Pudong Airport Station, get off at the other station and re-enter through the gate.
- Please keep the ticket for your passing the gate both at entrance and exit, and the ticket will be collected back through your final exit.
Tours with this activity
- If you are interested in taking a Shanghai tour with the Maglev Train experience; if you need a private tour and an English speaking tour guide to show you around Shanghai; China Odyssey Tours is here and ready to help.
Welcome to contact us to customize a China tour including this attraction.
Sample Shanghai tours to explore the real Shanghai: