The Bund is Shanghai's famous waterfront district, often called the "Museum of Architecture". The Bund is famous for its European-style buildings.- The Bund, 1.5 kilometers long, extends from Jinling Road in the south to the Waibaidu Bridge over Suzhou Creek in the north. It faces the Huangpu River, which is the longest river in Shanghai.
- Shanghai people are proud of the Bund and consider it a treasured place. Owning a piece of land in the Bund is a symbol of wealth and honor.
- Originally the financial center of Shanghai, the Bund’s many old stone buildings were built by western companies in Gothic, Baroque, Romanesque, Classicism, and Renaissance styles.
Historical & Cultural Background- In 1840, Shanghai became the leased territory of foreign countries. From then on, the Bund has become the center of external trade.
- The Bund is the long corridor of Shanghai. For more than 100 years, it has been the symbol of Shanghai. It shows the culture of Shanghai and the creation of modern civilization to people.
Tour Features- A Must See Place:
As a landmark of Shanghai, the Bund is a must for visitors who come to Shanghai.
- Oriental Wall Street:
Many banks and department stores were built here. So the Bund becomes the finance street of Shanghai. And the Bund is also called Oriental Wall Street.
- An Extensive Architecture Group:
There are a lot of buildings of different styles, such as the Gothic building, the Romanesque building, the Baroque building, etc. It is really an extensive architecture group. The architecture, along the Bund, is unanimously honored as a “World Architectural Fair.
- Enjoy the Fade Grandeur of Old Shanghai:
Walking along Zhongshan Road, visitors can enjoy the faded grandeur of old Shanghai, for this was the Bund, where the great trading houses and banks had their headquarters.
At the bank of Huangpu River in the Shanghai center
Transportation- By taxi: Everybody knows the Bund in Shanghai, thus just tell the taxi drivers, and they will take you there without any problem.
- By subway: Subway is also a good choice, fast and convenient. Line 2
Generally 2 hours, however, if you like you can get a cup of coffee and spend the whole afternoon there to experience real life in Shanghai.- In the morning, the Bund is the place where people do morning exercises.
- In the daytime, it is a flourishing tourist attraction.
- In the evening, it is a romantic place for young people.
- At night, when the colorful lights are on, the various buildings are just like crystal palaces.
Costs/ Entrance Tickets
Review & Tips- It is a good place to start to know about this amazing city.
- It is a happy land for architecture fans and photographers.
- A good place to know about local life and enjoy your time in Shanghai- you can walk around the Bund to take some pictures of local people, or simply get yourself a cup of coffee while enjoying the colorful lights along the river.
- Wandering here, visitors may appreciate the elegant demeanor of Huangpu River, overlook the new look of the Pudong district on the opposite bank, and feel relaxed among the green trees and modern gardens.
- Get some special experience-go through the sightseeing tunnel to watch all kinds of pictures about history, culture, and scenery.
(The sightseeing tunnel is the first cross-river tunnel in China. It is 646.70 meters. It uses escalators to transport tourists to go across the river in about 5 minutes. )
Other tourist attractions nearby- Jinmao Tower: on the bank of Huangpu River and opposite the famous Bund.
- The Oriental Pearl TV Tower: has become one of the modern symbols of Shanghai. Situated on the east bank of the Huangpu River, the 468-meter tall tower is the tallest in Asia and the third of the TV towers in the world. Its opposite is the universal architectural complex in the Bund.
- Yu Garden: It was first built in 1559 (Ming Dynasty), and has a history of about 450 years. In 1982, it was listed as an important relic protection unit.
- Yuyuan Market Old Street: If you want to look back on the bygone days of Shanghai, Shanghai Old Street will lead you to travel through the time tunnel back to 100 years ago.
Tours with this attractionIf you are interested in taking a Shanghai tour with a visit to The Bund; if you need a private tour and an English-speaking tour guide to show you around Shanghai; China Odyssey Tours is here and ready to help.
Please feel free to contact us if you want to travel suggestions about Shanghai tours or China tours.
What Our Clients Say
"Great Customized Service", "Trip of A Lifetime", "Exceed All Expectations"
CONTACT A TRAVEL EXPERT
1-to-1 Service | Reply within 24hrs | Expert's Advice
SUBSCRIBE TO WIN A FREE TOUR
Subscribe to our newsletter for a chance to win a 5-day Japan tour for two people! And more insider travel news, exclusive offers, and inspiration will be sent straight to your inbox.