The Bund is Shanghai's famous waterfront district, often called the "Museum of Architecture". The Bund is famous for its European style buildings.
- The Bund, 1.5 kilometers long, extends from Jinling Road in the south to the Waibaidu Bridge over the Suzhou Creek in the north. It faces the Huangpu River, which is the longest river in Shanghai.
- Shanghai people are proud of the Bund and consider it a treasured place. Owning a piece of land in the Bund is a symbol of wealth and honor.
- Originally the financial center of Shanghai, the Bund’s many old stone buildings were built by western companies in Gothic, Baroque, Romanesque, Classicism, and Renaissance styles.
Historical & Cultural Background
- In 1840, Shanghai became the leased territory of foreign countries. From then on, the Bund has become the center of external trade.
- The Bund is the long corridor of Shanghai. For more than 100 years, it has been the symbol of Shanghai. It shows the culture of Shanghai and the creation of modern civilization to people.
- What is special there?
- A Must See Place
As a landmark of Shanghai, the Bund is a must for visitors who come to Shanghai.
- Oriental Wall Street
Many banks and department stores were built here. So the Bund becomes the finance street of Shanghai. And the Bund is also called the Oriental Wall Street.
- An Extensive Architecture Group
There are a lot of buildings of different styles, such as the Gothic building, the Romanesque building, the Baroque building, etc. It is really an extensive architecture group. The architecture, along the Bund is unanimously honored as a “World Architectural Fair.
- Enjoy the Fade Grandeur of Old Shanghai
Walking along Zhongshan Road, visitors can enjoy the fade grandeur of old Shanghai, for this was the Bund, where the great trading houses and banks had their headquarters.
At the bank of Huangpu River in the Shanghai center
- how to get there?
- By taxi: Everybody knows the Bund in Shanghai, thus just tell the taxi drivers, and they will take you there without any problem.
- By subway: Subway is also a good choice, fast and convenient. Line 2
- How long should I stay there?
- When is the best time to visit there?
Generally 2 hours, however, if you like you can get a cup of coffee and spend the whole afternoon there to experience real life in Shanghai.
- In the morning, the Bund is the place that people do morning exercises.
- In the day time, it is the flourishing tourist attraction.
- In the evening, it is a romantic place for young people.
- At night, when the colorful lights are on, the various buildings are just like crystal palaces.
Costs/ Entrance Tickets
Review & Tips
- What do tour experts say about this place?
- It is a good place to start to know about this amazing city.
- It is the happy land for architecture fans and photographers.
- A good place to know about local life and enjoy your time in Shanghai- you can walk around the Bund to take some pictures of local people, or simply get yourself a cup of coffee while enjoying the colorful lights along the river.
- Wandering here, visitors may appreciate the elegant demeanor of Huangpu River, overlook the new look of Pudong district on the opposite bank, feel relaxing among the green trees and modern gardens.
- Get some special experience-go through the sightseeing tunnel to watch all kinds of pictures about history, culture, scenery.
(The sightseeing tunnel is the first cross-river tunnel in China. It is 646.70 meters. It uses escalators to transport tourists to go across the river in about 5 minutes. )
Other tour attractions nearby
- Jinmao Tower: on the bank of Huangpu River and opposite the famous Bund.
- The Oriental Pearl TV Tower: has become one of the modern symbols of Shanghai. Situated on the east bank of the Huangpu River, the 468-meter tall tower is the tallest in Asia and third of the TV towers in the world. Its opposite is the universal architectural complex in the Bund.
- Yu Garden: It was first built in 1559 (Ming Dynasty), has a history of about 450 years. In 1982, it was listed as an important relic protection unit.
- Yuyuan Market Old Street: If you want to look back on the bygone days of Shanghai, the Shanghai Old Street will lead you to travel through the time tunnel back to 100 years ago.
Tours with this attraction
- If you are interested in taking a Shanghai tour with a visit to The Bund; if you need a private tour and an English speaking tour guide to show you around Shanghai; China Odyssey Tours is here and ready to help.
To stroll along the Bund with the following China tours:
Please feel free to contact us if you want to travel suggestions about Shanghai tours or China tours.